Sunday 12 September 2010

Very challenging ride.

We had a great play in the school before saddling up nicely. What I took for exploding on circle game has developed into actual play. Breeze plays c.o.d side to side giving me both eyes! I imagine we look a little like Pat and Casper but with less grace on my part! We have to keep our energy down tho' so that she doesn't get unconfident and scare herself. We played sideways along the back fence, fig 8 was better today, and we stopped for blackberries and rests. B jumped over a jump with two poles and turned and faced me three times and we ended it there.

Everything started well in the woods. Breeze offered to go into the 'log trailer' and we went 'off piste' most of the way around the old woods. Coming out back onto the bridle path the horses spooked at a human running towards us and B was spooky from then on until we came to the turn to the viaduct. She did not want to go any way but home. She tried to turn and I kept on asking for lateral flexion until she could stand still. She tried to run backwards but I just turned her gently, around and around. Then I waited, letting all the energy sink down in me, willing myself to be calm until she was ready to go in the direction I wanted her to go in. Her expression was one of determination and reminded me so much of Lizzie! When she did move I couldn't stop stroking her, telling her how marvelous, clever and good she is.

Of course, down on the viaduct are the 'Port-a-cabins' and fencing etc where they are renovating the bridge. The horses have been past twice from the other direction, not this way. Breeze could not go past or stand still. Bert was rooted to the spot. I could feel she was quite ready to run and then both the horses spooked and almost did bolt off!! I actually thought 'perhaps I should get off' as I one rein stopped B and found I was shaking with fear and adrenaline. Sandra immediately offered to get off and led Bert past the horse eating machinery while B and I followed, B snorting and arching her neck so she could stare at the monsters.

We rewarded the horses with some grazing when we got to the nice grass which gave all of us time to be calm and then headed to the mile and 1/4. Breeze took the lead so I thought I would see how her trot was. She was ok for a while but soon slid to an emergency stop at a threshold and we waited for Sandra and Bert to go in the lead. We tried trotting again but B was too tense and she did her 'Bambi' trot. So it was back to walk for a while. B and I took the lead again and I asked her for another trot which was much more relaxed and ridable. I wanted to go home thinking about the nice parts of the ride, not the scary bits because otherwise by the time I get to ride again there is a chance I may lose confidence.

We had a bit of a threshold by the exit when I asked B to carry on. She followed Bert past then we turned and left the woods. We had a bit of a mooch around the yard again. I did toy with the idea of going in the school but I think I had enough excitement for one day, so we did some back up practice, which is improving rapidly.

While unsaddling I played with throwing the reins back and forwards over her head, even while she stood on the pedestal. Hardly any reaction from her now. We are getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment