Friday 17 September 2010

Backwards? Let me help you!

Breeze and I have been getting used to playing in the arena in the dark this week although the lights are pretty good. Tonight was our second play. . . I played with Bertie last night. B stayed out and I felt at a loose end and Sandra asked me to play with him. Bert was brilliant! I haven't played with him since April and it looks like Sandra has done a lot with him in the meantime. I have taught her well lol. Bert made me feel like a real L3 student and I secretly wished B and I could be like this. We will soon enough, we just need more time.

This evening I decided I was going to try and push B out of her comfort zone. I have tried to be very careful with her and her pulling back issues lately. Every time she has pulled back I have let her and either held my ground and waited or given her lots of slack and waited. She is definitely less extreme now and every time she stops pulling and comes to me she gets rests and treats which seem to be paying off. Tonight I felt ready to deal with whatever she threw at me and see if I could get her past this sticking point.

But. Circle game can be hit and miss and this evening Breeze decided to be snotty and try and resist my asking for circle game. So I did 'a Linda' and every time she refused to circle and pulled back I said ok lets see how far and fast you can go! First time we went most of the way around the arena backwards in trot then had circle. Second time not so far only she backed into a jump and knocked it flat. Third time she decided to go back with less energy and stopped nicely. Each time I gave her time to rest and think and asked for circle. She went a little introverted but no where near as deep as she has been in the past. Great!

Then she stopped backing up completely and we had a lovely calm circle both ways in walk and calm trot instead of ragged trot or canter. At this point we left the arena.

We had played with other ideas tonight. Weave was ok but she still has trouble yielding her HQ at the end of the line of jump sides. They are too high for her to side pass which gives her something to think about. Of course her side ways is very good and interestingly when I ask for half circles against the fence she gets emotional about that too.

Breeze saw the new pedestal for the first time this evening. She stopped, sniffed it and then stood on it! Bert would have nothing to do with it. Give him time.

I am looking forward to our lesson with Claire the PP in two Saturdays time. I wonder if Breeze will be sweet for her and make me out to be a liar lol.

5 comments:

  1. Cilla, sounds like you had a good session with Breeze. Being passive persistent in the proper position will pay off...
    Keep up the good play!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how quickly an hour can go by too! Thanks for commenting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be interesting to see what the PP says about it too.. Is Sandra having a lesson too? Will you ride?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra is joining in the lesson which is fab. I don't know if we will be riding. I would like to but it might be online only. We will see.

    ReplyDelete