Tuesday 21 September 2010

Playtime!

I tried to take some photos of Breeze on her new pedestal but this was the only one of her actually on it and in focus because she kept getting off lol. She is developing quite a sense of humour.

This eve I thought we could go in the arena for a 10 minute play....which turned into 45 mins of great fun. I think we have circle game sorted. I find I can turn B's stopping and pulling back into falling leaf and in trot too! Breeze was snaking and tossing her head when we played this and turning very fast. I love to see her play like this and feel very honoured too. I discovered if I turned sideways to her when she pulls backwards on the line, she stops pulling and we carry on. Takes all the pressure off. We had weave the jump sides in trot too and some lovely jumping and turn and face me.

Breeze went introverted twice only and I wondered if it was because there was someone riding around us whom B hasn't shared the arena with before. I let her rest when she dropped her head unblinking to begin with and stroked her face and head. She is spending less time like this which is great.

At one point someone led their horse down the runway next to the arena and Breeze stared at them, ignoring me. So I crept up to zone 5 and tagged her butt with my c/s. She leaped in the air and turned 180 degrees to face me and gave me two eyes. Then she couldn't take her eyes off me!
We got circle game after that in all three gaits and then I walked around with her to cool her a little and we got some very nice stick to me without using the 22' line.

It has taken a while but I can feel our progress towards liberty is happening now. If I had taken the line off she will still have left but there is definitely a better connection between us now. I just pretended we weren't connected by a rope and used the c/s as back up to turn. Porky in zone 1 is getting better as B is beginning to take more notice of the c/s.

We finished with some backing out of the arena and a mosey to her stable. Don't tell anyone but B let me cuddle her tonight. She never lets me do that usually. She almost rested her head on my shoulder as I put my arms around her head and neck. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some great progress Cilla. Good you worked out about the pressure...

    ReplyDelete