Saturday 11 September 2010

Plans? Not today.

I forgot to post about our play and ride on Saturday. Must be because I forgot to duck under a low branch round the woods and got bashed on the head . . . thankfully I always wear a helmet. I thought I might have whiplash it was such a thump!!

Anyway, the plan was play in the school saddled and then get on in the school and leave to go and ride in the woods. We played around the yard, saddled up and went in the school. My friend Sandra was having a lesson and two others were riding too so there wasn't much room for us. We tried to stay out of the way but got moved on by the Instructor. Actually B found it all just a little too much and went quiet and a little introverted so in between bouts of play we just chilled and did nothing. There is definitely something about her being in the school with others that she can't manage just yet. It's ok with Sandra and Bert but no one else. Interesting.

We stood and chatted a while with Sandra's instructor then left the school online and I got on at the mounting block. We mooched about the yard until Sandra was ready and headed for the woods. We turned left today and headed down the mile and 1/4 with B wanting to eat everything in sight. I only have to lift the line and she moves on so it was a game of eat and move on until I just started laughing because we didn't get very far. With that B stopped eating and we carried on.

It was a pretty uneventful ride despite my bang on the head. Even the renovation works didn't phase the horses too much. Luckily we got most of the way round before it started to rain. Just goes to show plans sometimes get changed especially with horses involved.

4 comments:

  1. ouch.... Bronwyn got whacked on the head the other day too - her new horse went down in the float and under the bar, she was trying to push her head back under and the horse hit her in the head, she went backwards and banged her head on the window and the window popped out!!

    Garbo struggles being in arenas when horses are getting drilled the traditional way - he empahthises with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that the window popped out! Phew I hope Bronwyn is ok. Send her my best wishes please.

    You know I have been wondering if Breeze struggles with arena because she knows/senses what the others are going through. Horses having situational memories I am thinking being in the arena brings up past drilling.
    That second time we tried and failed to ride in the arena another horse was being lunged and had gone introverted so there must have been a lot of stress for her to deal with.
    I guess I am looking ahead and wondering if we can have this at least part way sorted before our course in May 2011. Even Lizzie managed some riding, in the honeycomb, and loved it.
    We will just take the time it takes so it takes less time.
    c x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garbo definitely picks up on other horses emotions - ie if they are worried or fearful he becomes fearful for them.... but the more confidence he gains in me as a leader the better he is coping with that stuff. ie in the past he couldn't watch another horse go over a small jump in the forest... he would buck... but now he's great.... so one step at a time... perhaps next time there is someone having a lesson take B in there and make the goal that she maintains focus on you and only you at all times.
    xx
    I will pass on your thoughts to Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes it will take us time but we will get there. At least I understand it more now and can act accordingly.
    c x

    ReplyDelete