Tuesday 19 July 2011

Rain, sun/rain, work and walk.



Zone 5 driving.
The title should take care of Saturday, Sunday, Monday and today! Saturday it rained and rained and rained and rained! It turned out to be almost a washout. My riding buddy and I waited until we knew for sure the rain wouldn't stop and abandoned our plans. I got to spend an hour earning lots of Breeze brownie points by giving her all the scratches she wanted in all her inaccessible places. We did manage some play in the evening, which although short was marvelous until the rain became too much. I saw an entertaining side to B and if horses could smile I think B would have been grinning.

Sunday we had a lovely warm up in the arena, although B was unsettled by other horses and riders in the arena. She was happy to canter on circle game but for now we aren't progressing and getting many laps. I am just happy to see her less excited and emotional. We just keep on trying and rewarding the try.
Saddling up was ok but I am sure I saw a grumpy expression on B's face. Perhaps I should take more notice of that face because after getting on and having a rest and then a mosey B refused to leave the yard. It wasn't RB at all, very much that old familiar 'I don't want to and you can't make me'!!!! Reminded me so much of Lizzie, she used to do this a lot and actually it makes me smile a little.
Sandra and Bert had crossed the road and were waiting for us as we did a lot of the usual approach and retreat and wait. I had to concentrate very hard on zero brace so that B had nothing to fight about. All the same it was quite hard for me to stay happy, she really tests my patience. Luckily another rider was leaving the yard and although B wasn't too keen on following I used this horse for B to focus on while I began to peddle my feet, swing my arms, then shoulders, then whole body rhythmically to ask for walk. It worked and we were over the road and joining Bert and Sandra.
Lovely ride all in all, although B still will not leave enough distance between her and Bert's butt even when trotting. Holding her back or doing constant half halts/lifting the rein and asking for her to stop just winds B up and makes her tense. In the end I lent Sandra my blue string and she swung it in B's face which helped. I had to apologise to Sandra because she got a bit annoyed but I don't know what else can be done while sticking to Parelli principles.
Bert had a few slow-mo spooks where he could not go forward and would then slowly turn and hide behind us. Then B would turn and hide behind Bert. We wait for the horses to be confident again and move on. That's just one of the things I really appreciate about Sandra. She may not be a committed Parelli student, just does a few things online but she shares the same principles. She's natural.
We had a lovely relaxed time for the rest of the way. I asked B to do a few things to keep her mind occupied and she was quite light and happy about it. Turning, weaving, playing touch this and point to point until we reached the exit.
I don't know if asking her to go past without Bert upset her but as soon as we got out of the woods and into the car park she tried to bolt, heading across the busy road. I very quickly bent her to a stop which resulted in her trying to brace and turn circles until she calmed down. I remember how loud the clatter of her hooves sounded on the tarmac as I got into the power position and held on to that rein firmly.
As soon as she relaxed I released and we resumed our walk across the road as if nothing had happened.
Monday I was working so didn't get to see B very much either in the morning or evening. Even so I think a day off and not doing much is good for both of us.
Tuesday, as seems to be the usual lately, the arena was being leveled so b and I went for a walk in the woods. Great zone 5 driving, until we did some different things. I think B makes assumptions and I have let her get used to just going on one direction, turning and going back. This time I asked her to turn back then turn and carry on. She wasn't very happy about that and tried to doge me but I am getting very savvy at knowing where, why and how to be in the right place to block her (politely) and ask her to carry on, all from zone 5.

Love this expression.

I dropped my phone AGAIN and had to retrace our steps to find it. It's happening too much lately! Then we headed past the exit and B had a bit of graze, then back to the yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment