Monday 4 July 2011

Saturday/Sunday.


I had the whole weekend to spend time with B. I get every other Saturday off work for the time being so we made the most of it. Great warm up in the arena. We got Fig 8 trot/canter transitions, circle game relaxation, over a jump towards me then back up to it. Tried some lead by the leg which is improving.


Followed by a great relaxed ride. I really noticed how much focus B needs sometimes to help her concentrate and not look in the bushes all the time for beasties. Here trot was really nice and she responded well to being asked to keep her distance from Bertie. We got to lead some of the way too.
This day she decided she didn't want to turn right out of the old woods. Usually I will let her turn and we rest, but this time I wanted  her to focus on what I was asking her so this time I immediately bent her and waited. This seemed to have a really good effect and with only a little hesitation she turned and we caught up with Bert and Sandra. I am hoping this was a good example of doing less sooner so as not to do more later!


Sunday was another hot day and I seemed to be all over the place. Left my yard keys at home but the shed was already open. I got completely sidetracked playing with B in the arena. We did a lot of driving from zone 5 playing follow the rail, weave and Fig 8. I lost track of time only to see Sandra already tacked up and ready to go. It was only then I realised I needed my keys after all to get my saddle! So I had to drive home for the keys after arranging to meet Sandra down by the viaduct.

Saddling up was lovely and B and I played all the way to the top of the old woods. More zone 5 driving with stops to eat stuff. B was very calm and happy when I got on. She happily walked forwards but as soon as I asked her to turn right to meet up with Sandra she didn't want to and 'dug her heels in'. Like the day before I immediately bent her to a stop which again worked really well. Just as Sandra and Bert came into view. Breeze went to turn before them but I asked her to keep going and fall in behind. She must have hoped we were going home but again we turned away to go down around the old woods. She hesitated but seemed ok to go on. Not far ahead again she tried to turn and I bent her again. No hesitation after this and we went for a lovely ride.

I am trying now to ask B to do more as we go for our rides instead of just tucking in behind Bert. And not just zig zag to calm her. I understand she needs to follow where Bert goes to a certain extend, through puddles and stuff because it must be obvious to her if he went a certain way it must be safe. But I am thinking if she is more amenable to following my leadership out in the woods this might transfer to riding in the arena. 

Later on we went for a graze around the yard then for a quick play in the arena. It was even hotter and muggy so I kept it low key. Lots of falling leaf and s pattern in walk. More zone 5 driving and we got some superb weave and fig 8 around cones. Breeze was nice and cool while I sweated all the time, it was so hot!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great Cilla. Garbo was happy behind for a long while, and then after a few years he was happier to lead in the forest. I just took turns leading until he stopped, then let the other horse over take us again.... going off piste like you do too is also her leading so make the most of that. It's been so windy here I've done nothing! :-(

    ReplyDelete