Tuesday 19 October 2010

Zone 1

Breeze and I went for our (almost regular now) Tuesday morning walk in the woods. I had an idea to see what she is like being directed by the c/s in zone 1 and it was very interesting. I have waited a while to do this as she was quite head shy at first. Now I found she tried to totally ignore it and often bumped into it but without exploding. I had a think about this as we walked along with me in zone 3 and 5, wondering what her mum would have done when Breeze was a foal if she had ignored her mum's wishes lol.

I had no need to go up the phases at all and that was nice to see. I left it totally up to B to decide if she would move where I asked her to or walk into the c/s. Very interesting to see the exact point at which B switches from unconfident and not listening to being soft eyed and following my slightest suggestion. Leaving the yard she didn't have any thresholds today but instead she ignored me and just tried to go off in whatever direction she wanted, pulling on the rope. I bumped her a couple of times to get her attention and in the short distance from her stable to the road I had both her eyes on me. I find I have to do this when we saddle up sometimes because she insists on moving back or forwards when I put the saddle up to her back. I will let her do this up to a point but it becomes too much of an LB game so I interrupt the pattern and she stands still.

We went down to the first turn on the mile and 1/4 again and B was a lot more relaxed. We played eat here and here and here. I love it when she gets so responsive we can stand next to each other and she will mirror my exact movements stepping back and forwards together. She didn't want to carry on down the bridle path so we played approach and retreat using the c/s again to direct her. I think she was a little surprised when trying to put her head way up in the air to avoid me that I could still reach with the c/s and block her!

We had a little practice at walking past the exit without getting emotional and wanting to go home immediately. Then on to the tree stump and she hopped up on it without hesitation. Then home and out to the field. As I watched her go from the gate three male pheasants walked out of the bushes unaware that I was there. I stayed a while to see Breeze go and have a drink, roll and then greet the herd. She trotted around a little then settled down to graze next to one of her best buddies.


November the 5th is looming and last night some bright spark (pun intended) was setting off fireworks from the pub garden just at the same time I went to get B in from the field. That made the catching game very 'interesting' as every time I got next to B it coincided with a bang and her and the herd would spook and run away and around me. After a few tries I decided to just stand with my back to her and wait. Almost immediately I felt and heard her breath in my ear and we haltered and made our way to the gate.

Breeze had lots of thresholds, no surprise there, so we spent some time walking around the yard while the fireworks exploded above our heads. Interestingly she became very calm with me despite the chaos. Excellent.

3 comments:

  1. oh bummer about the fireworks - ours don't go on sale till 3 days before thank god - I wish they would ban them.

    I thought you meant you rode in the field there for a minute - can't quite see the pheasants... lol

    Good work re the thresholds and directing from Z1

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pheasants are hard to see I know, but I was delighted to see them and had to post lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. "wondering what her mum would have done when Breeze was a foal if she had ignored her mum's wishes"

    Great job thinking like a horse! :)

    Beth
    Parelli Central, UK/Europe

    ReplyDelete