Saturday 20 August 2011

Taking care of B.

We had quite a low key play in the arena to begin with and saddled up there too. The first time I tried B couldn't stand still for me to even try to swing the saddle near her. While letting her rest and play friendly game I watched Sandra and Bert struggle with circle game. I asked Sandra if I could have a play which gave B a long rest.

We played again when S and B had gone to saddle up and to my surprise B wanted me to saddle from the left. We got some lovely circle game in trot and canter after that.

I have decided to take B over to the woods online for the time being. It is too much pressure for her if I try and ride over there, it seems. That's a real eye opener. What a difference it made, I had a happy confident LB horse who wanted to eat EVERYTHING! Got on beautifully by the 'loop' and Sandra said B was licking and chewing a lot. We set off and B kept her distance from Bert. Lovely.



We had a lovely ride all the way down the straight but when we got to the old woods turn B stopped and wouldn't go further. She turned a few times and instead of letting her go the way she wanted I got off! First time I have done this and not before I jokingly pleaded with B 'please don't make me get off, pleeease!' lol. Just as well I did, because B was running circles around me for a while until we caught up with Sandra and B.
Oh boy it was a long walk from then on! I tried to get on in various places but I could hear that little child whining in my head ' I can't!' and I gave up for a while. The problem seems to be feeling balanced enough up on the fence and then worrying about the fact that when B is lined up it's big leap of faith onto her back and I was too worried she would move!

So we walked along, actually we had a trot, side by side with Sandra and Bert coming up behind. I am more fit than I thought, just need to be a bit more flexible and balanced. I hate being my age! I spotted a likely place to get back on along the last stretch of the mile and 1/4 and despite two riders coming towards us B was calm and happy for me to get on. She strode off in front confident of where she was going. We trotted a bit but it felt very emotional so I bent B to a stop. Just as we reached the pub the horses spooked badly at what sounded like someone throwing bricks into a metal bin and B jumped out of her skin and spun around. I clung on and went with her until I could bend her to a stop. Sandra dismounted and we made our way to the exit. I got off then too and we walked the horses home. It was beginning to rain and started to really pour down as we got to the stables.

B was very cuddly back in her stable. She just wanted to hang out with me and be scratched. How great is that! We watched the rain together for a while then I reluctantly got on with the rest of my day. I am plotting tho! Plotting taking a wheelbarrow into the woods to the wood yard and stealing some logs to place around the bridle path for me to get on next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment